Homemade Watering System
Keeping your plants watered when you go on vacation or leave the house for a while is always problematic. You either have to call somebody to take care of your plants or you need to invest into complicated equipment to water plants automatically.
Luckily, there is an easy and inexpensive homemade solution. You can create an improvised watering system using an old plastic bottle. This system is very easy to make and it doesn’t cost anything.
The best thing about this system is that it will keep your plants perfectly watered but it will never overwater them: it provides plants with just the right amount of water they need.
– An empty plastic bottle (one for each pot/plant)
– Piece of fabric
To make this watering system, follow these steps:
1. Cut the bottom of the plastic bottle away
2. Carefully insert the piece of fabric in the cap of the bottle. Close it. If you want slower dipping, make it more tight. If you want to achieve faster dripping keep it less tight.
3. Tape the bottle to the stick so it creates a watering container. Never put the bottle directly on the ground or the water won’t exit because too much of the pressure.
4. Carefully place the stick with the bottle in the pot. Insert the other side of the fabric on the soil. It’s best to keep it a bit under the dirt.
That’s all. To make this system water your plants all you need to do is to put water in the bottle. It will slowly go through the fabric and water the soil. Check it out to see how long it takes for the water to start going down. If it’s too fast, consider tightening the cap a bit. If it’s too slow, loosen the cap a bit. This way, you will ensure the best amount of water for your plants. This system will provide your plants with water but it won’t overwater them.