How to Make a Garden Grow Box
With the warmer months approaching, you might want to think about growing some new plants in your garden. While gardening requires a lot of practice and experience, there are many things even beginner gardeners can do to improve their garden and make their plants thrive.
One of those things are raised garden beds. They are important for growing many types of plants, but they are not always easy to make. Luckily, you can create raised garden beds relatively easily, using old pallets. The pallets can be quickly modeled to form a handy garden grow box you can you for your plants.
To make your own garden grow box out of pallets, here’s the material you’ll need:
- Wooden pallets (about 6 – the exact number depends on your grow box)
- 20 Wooden stakes
- ¾ Inch wood (for filler pieces)
- 8 Sturdy 2×4’s
- 50 Three inch wood screws
- 50 One and a half inch wood screws
- Black or grey weed control fabric
Follow these instructions to build a garden grow box:
- Cut pallets. You need to cut them to a desired length for a box you want to make. For example, you can take two long pallets and cut them in half to create the sides for the box. For the ends, use 2 shorter pallets. Make sure to cut the end pallets so they can fit easily inside the side pallets.
- The next step you need to do is to cut stakes to a desired length. Use them to support the crate posts. Put the stakes into the ground and use the 1 ½ inch screws to drill the stakes into the crate.
- After this, fill in the gaps of the pallet with ¾ inch wood. Screw into place. Inspect the box: all of the sides should be completely enclosed.
- Use the landscaping cover material on the ground and sides of the garden box. This is important because it will keep weeds from getting into the box. It will also keep the dirt from getting out of the box through the cracks.
- Us the black landscaping cover over the sides of the grow box. On the top of it, put 2x4x8 pieces of wood and screw them. This will keep the cover in place. It will also make a good finish edge to sit on. Don’t forget to trim the black tarp on the side so it’s flush with the edges.
- After this, carefully fill the garden box with dirt. Top it with some mulch. Mix the mulch with the top layer (2-4 inches) of dirt.
- This is the time to start planting. Work gently and carefully so you won’t damage them.
- Repeat these steps for other grow boxes you want to make.