In case you have only a small space for your tools and equipment, you may wonder which ones to keep. Every gardener should know about the essential tools they need. This way, you will be able to only keep those you truly need. You should have these tools and pack them neatly into your small shed or another place you have for the tools.
Even if your shed is not small it’s still useful to know which tools are truly essential. It is important to have a small group of items at easy reach because chances are that you will use them over and over again.
The Most Important Tools
Here is a list of the most essential tools you will need in your garden:
- Pruners. They are great for roses, shrubs and plants with large diameter branches. Most pruners are spring-loaded, but your wrist will probably get tied after a while of quick and repeated use. You may also use a bypass pruner. This type of a pruner has overlapping blades that bypass each other.
- Mattock. It’s best to choose a short-handled one, because it will be useful for many jobs. This is a very versatile tool that can help you with numerous gardening jobs. It can be used for working in the dirt, and it’s also great for planting beds and planters in general. You may use a standard steel mattock or a stainless steel one. In case you clean your tools regularly (as you should), you probably won’t have to buy the stainless steel one.
- Trowel. You will need a good steel trowel. It can sustain a lot of pressure and it will not bend at the neck when you start digging around. It will also not break at the point where the blade and the handle meet when prying up root-bound plants. For these reasons, it’s very important to get a steel trowel.
- Snips. They are useful for small plants and smaller jobs. They are spring-loaded so you can use them for a lot of fast, rapid clipping. It’s important that all the clipping done is light, because they can’t take a lot. They are ideal for jobs such as deadheading flowers on plants.
- Metal forks and spoons. Preferably old and oversized. You will need them for many smaller jobs such as digging and planting. They come as a great help, so pick some from your home that you don’t use and store them together with other gardening tools.
- Folding saw. A Japanese type of saw will work great and it won’t take a lot of space. It is a great tool for numerous smaller gardening project. It is more useful than it may seem, so you sure need it. If you don’t want to get a folding saw or if you have plenty of space, you may opt for a different type of a saw. In any case, it’s vital to have a saw for your gardening jobs.
Here are some additional items you will sure need in your garden:
- Stakes. A set of thin bamboo stakes seem to work the best. They can be used for all the staking you wish to do. You may also use them to make a small trellis.
- Natural twine. Make sure to choose a sturdy one. Get a roll of natural twine (jute works great) and you can use it for many different things.
- Alcohol and mineral oil. You will use them for cleaning your tools.
- Cotton cloths and newspaper. You will need them to clean around or to place your plants and other items during various gardening jobs (such as planting, for example).
- Gardening gloves. Pick good ones, because you will use them a lot.
This a short list of items you should have in your gardening shed (or another place you have for keeping tools). This item pack is needed in every garden and it doesn’t take a lot of space.
Depending on your specific needs, you may also require some other items. It all depends on the type of plants you want to grow. This is why it’s important to understand your unique gardening needs and to think of the most essential tools for the gardening jobs you wish to perform.