Use Hydrogen Peroxide in Home and Garden
Did you know that hydrogen peroxide can be very useful in the household? Even more, gardeners can use it to their advantage in many different ways. Hydrogen peroxide is a powerful cleaning agent and can also be used to remove pesticides from fruits and vegetables.
One advantage to hydrogen peroxide is that it’s inexpensive so everyone can use it to clean and sanitize objects in the home. It can also help gardeners to improve their food in numerous ways.
What is Hydrogen Peroxide?
Hydrogen peroxide has a chemical formula very similar to water (H2O). It only has an additional oxygen atom, so its formula is H2O2. This extra atom allows hydrogen peroxide to break down quickly into oxygen and water. This is a great advantage because it can be done so quickly, which means it’s harmless and very safe.
Hydrogen peroxide is found in all living beings. It is produced by white blood cells to fight bacteria and other harmful agents. Similarly, plants, such as fruits and vegetables, regularly produce hydrogen peroxide. In fact, this is one of the reasons why fruits and vegetables are so healthy.
Hydrogen peroxide also boosts immune system. It is found in rain, which makes plants grow faster. Also, it’s one of the best natural cleaners and can be used in the household for various things.
Here is a list of great things you can do with 3% hydrogen peroxide:
For Plants and Gardeners
- Cleaning fruits and vegetables. Hydrogen peroxide can be used to clean your fruits and vegetables from dirt and pesticides. To make an effective cleaner, add a ¼ cup of hydrogen peroxide to a sink of cold water. Wash your fruits and vegetables in this mixture, but make sure to rinse them thoroughly with cool water.
- Improving plant growth. Hydrogen peroxide can help your plants fight diseases such as various types of fungi. Simply add some hydrogen peroxide to a spray bottle and use it on your plants.
- Preserving fruits and vegetables. Hydrogen peroxide can be used to preserve fruits and vegetables once they are harvested. Simply spray a mixture of ½ cup of water and 1 tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide over your salad and other vegetables. Refrigerate it. It will prevent wilting and it will help preserving your vegetables (and fruits) for longer.
- Help sprout seeds. You can use hydrogen peroxide to sprout seeds for new plantings. Use it once per day to spritz the seeds every time you re-moisten them.
- Improving plants’ root system. You may use a mixture of 1 part hydrogen peroxide and 32 parts water to improve the root system of your plants.
- Improving soaps and other cleaners. Simply add about 2 ounces of hydrogen peroxide to your detergents, liquid soaps and other cleaners to make them more effective.
- Use it as a mouthwash. Hydrogen peroxide kills bacteria so it makes a very effective mouthwash. Use a 50/50 mixture of hydrogen peroxide and water.
- Use it as toothbrush. Did you know that baking soda and hydrogen peroxide make a great toothbrush? They are very effective in killing bacteria and they prevent gingivitis. In fact, if you mix them with salt they will act as a whitening toothpaste. You may also use hydrogen peroxide to clean your toothbrush.
- General cleaner. Hydrogen peroxide is an excellent cleaner you can use in your home. You can use it to clean your kitchen, especially the often-used areas, such as your countertop. It also makes a great cleaner for dishwasher and refrigerator. You may also clean your bathtub with it, as well as your toilet bowl and sink. Hydrogen peroxide makes a great cleaner for floors. Since it’s safe, it can be used to clean kids’ areas, toys and other items children use. To clean with hydrogen peroxide, simply pour it onto the surface you want to clean, leave it for a few minutes and then scrub and rinse to clean it.
- Clean small items. Hydrogen peroxide is a great cleaner for small household items, such as sponges, pots and pans (best to be used with baking soda), curtains, tablecloths. It makes a great cleaner for your clothes, since it can remove many stains. You can add a cup of hydrogen peroxide to your regular washing detergent to make your white laundry extra bright. This is a natural alternative to bleach and it works very well.
- Use it for beautiful hair. Hydrogen peroxide can be used to add natural highlights to your hair. Simply mix it with water 50/50 and spray it on your wet hair to create subtle highlights.