Organic Spider RepellentsPest Control Last Updated On 02/20/2022
Many people are scared of spiders or at least hate them. It's important to control the spider population in your garden and home. However, you don't want to use just any type of an insecticide. These chemicals tend to be strong and often poisonous.
It's a better idea to use natural spider control methods to get rid of spiders in your home and garden.
Here is the list of the 10 most effective and natural spider control methods:
- Use peppermint. Spiders hate it. Most people don't know about this, but this is a simple and easy solution you can use to get rid of spiders. Simply take a spray bottle and use 10-15 drops of peppermint essential oil. Mix the oil with water. Use the mixture to spray around your house. This is the best method to be used indoors. An advantage to this method is that is simply makes your home smell great.
- Use vinegar. Vinegar is very powerful and can be used for many different ways all around the home. One of the best ways to use vinegar is to repel spiders. It works similar to peppermint oil. Just add some vinegar to a spray bottle, mix it with water and spray around your house. Make sure not to miss all the cracks and crevices. Spray around the corners and all the places where spiders tend to appear.
- Use citrus. Spiders hate all the things citrus, so keep this in mind when you want to get rid of them. Simply rub some citrus peels on areas where spiders hide. Inside your home, rub it on baseboards, windowsills and bookshelves. Sometimes, using a lemon scented furniture polish will keep them away, though this is not an organic way to repel them.
- Use cedar. Cedar is another great spider deterrent. It's best to use cedar mulch in your garden, especially around the perimeter of your home. It will prevent spiders from getting inside the house and it will keep them away from your garden.
- Use chestnuts. Chestnuts are known to drive spiders away. Simply place some chestnuts around your home, especially on the windowsills. You may also try to put some chestnuts in your garden. A good thing about this method is that chestnuts can be kept for a long time so you don't have to replace them frequently. You may also use osage orange (also known as headgeapple) for the same purpose.
- Tobacco. Spiders hate tobacco so if you have some tobacco in your home, it might be worth to use it as spider repellent. Sprinkle some tobacco around the places where spiders tend to appear. You may also soak tobacco in water and spray the mixture around your house.
- Use cats. If you have a cat, you can use it as an effective spider deterrent. Cats are great hunters and will probably catch any spider that comes to your home and garden.
- Clean your home. Perhaps the most organic and natural way to keep spiders away from your home is to keep it clean. Spiders don't like neat, tidy places free of dust. If you clean dust regularly chances are that you will be able to keep spiders away from your home. However, this method is not always the easiest since you need to keep your home super-clean.
- Keep a tidy garden. Similar to the above one, but related to your garden and yard. While it's impossible to completely get rid of spiders in the garden, make sure to keep your garden clean and tidy. Spiders don't like this. Clean your garden, especially around the house. Make sure to remove any laves, grass clippings, wood piles and other places where spiders can hide.
Photo credit: Corine Bliek