The Orchid Care GlossaryHouseplants Last Updated On 10/12/2021
Popular TermsHere is a list of the most popular terms all orchid growers need to know:
1. InflorescenceThis is the flowering part of a plant.
2. NodeNode is a distinct joint or notch on the inflorescence from which a secondary flower stem can emerge from. It happens after the primary inflorescence has finished blooming.
3. KeikiKeiki is a small plant growing from a node on the flower stem.
Flower PartsThe most important parts of an orchid's flower:
4. ColumnIt is a small, rounded and column-like extension between the two largest petals on a flower. This is actually the central reproductive organ of the orchid.
5. LipLip is the part of the flower almost completely divided from the rest of the flower. It is connected by the column. Orchids have very unique lips, and it's one of the things that make their flowers so beautiful. The lip is actually a very specialized organ and its role is to aid in pollination.
6. ThroatThis is the inner portion of a tubular orchid lip. In many cases throat is very colorful.
7. SepalsThe outer segments of an orchid flower. They are similar to petals but they make three smaller segments of the flower. Sepals create a triangular shape.
SpikeSpike is a flower stalk.
GeneralGeneral gardening terms often used for orchid care:
8. MediumThis is not orchid-specific. Medium is the material added to a container. It can range from soil to bark. There are many mediums available for your plants (in this case, orchids).
9. YellowingThis is a common gardening term. It is used when a leaf is yellowing. This usually indicates some issues, such as overwatering or an inadequate amount of light. If you notice yellowing on orchid leaves it's important to inspect your plant or consult a professional about what to do to make it healthy again.
Photo credit: Pauline Rosenberg